Hurricane season is underway in Louisiana, and this year is predicted to be busy. The NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center has published the 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook. The Atlantic region’s hurricane season, which includes the North Atlantic Ocean, Caribbean Sea, and Gulf of Mexico, begins on June 1 and runs through November 30.
About the 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook
There is no perfect formula for predicting weather, but experts study patterns and use historic data to predict general activity levels. The outlook report is put together by weather scientists at:
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Climate Prediction Center
- National Hurricane Center
- Hurricane Research Division
2022 Hurricane Season Outlook Findings
The report predicts a 65 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 25 percent chance of a near-normal season, and a 10 percent chance of a below-normal season for the 2022 hurricane season. The report contains this summary of predicted activity:
“The 2022 outlook calls for a 70 percent probability for each of the following ranges of activity:
- 14-21 Named Storms
- 6-10 Hurricanes
- 3-6 Major Hurricanes
- Accumulated Cyclone Energy (ACE) range of 115-200 percent of the median”
Hurricane Outlook by Parish
Colorado State’s expert climatologists released their 2022 season forecast in April, which has similar findings to the NOAA outlook. They also use NOAA weather data to make predictions for coastal parishes in Louisiana. We have included the data from their 2022 forecast below.
|Parish||2022 Forecast Probability of Named Storm Impact||2022 Forecast Probability of Hurricane Impact||2022 Forecast Probability of Major Hurricane Impact|
Louisiana Hurricane Preparation
These outlooks also mentions that they predict that the majority of the storms will occur in peak season, which is August through October. That means that if you do not have a good hurricane readiness plan in place for you and your family, now is the time.
The National Hurricane Center has tips for preparing for a hurricane, and it’s best to make sure you’re ready for the season, whatever the forecast. No matter how many hurricanes occur during a given season, it only takes one in your area to threaten your property and safety.
Visit Louisiana Farm Bureau Insurance’s Real Storm Protection Center. Download preparation checklists for supplies, documents, and housing. The pages also offer more information about what to do after you’ve been affected by a storm including recording damage, making an insurance claim, and post-storm cleanup tips. Additional information on storm preparation is available at the NOAA National Hurricane Preparedness website.
Insure Your Home Against Damage from Severe Storms
Remember, homeowners and renters insurance don’t cover flood damage. While your policy likely covers wind damage, you may need a separate rider for hurricane coverage. If you’re confused about what your policy covers, if you think you’re underinsured, or if you need a flood insurance policy, get in touch with a local agent today.