Does My Roommate Need Renter’s Insurance, Too?

If you live with a roommate, you probably share a lot of household items and household expenses. Sharing the Netflix password, splitting the toilet paper stash, and dividing household chores are fairly standard.

But what about serious stuff like renters insurance? If something bad were to happen, such as a house fire or a break in, would your renter’s insurance cover your belongings? Would it also cover your roommate’s belongings?

Considering the low cost of renter’s insurance in comparison to the significant benefit it offers, we think that 100% of renters should be insuring their belongings with a renters insurance policy. However, only about 44% of renters actually do get this type of coverage.

Who is Covered?

Under the Louisiana Farm Bureau Insurance Renters Policy, the people that are covered under a renters insurance policy are you and residents of your household who are:

  1. your relatives; or
  2. other persons under the age of 21 and in the care of any person named above.

Simply put, this means that your roommate is not properly covered under a renters policy unless they are related to you.

Advantages of Separate Policies

You may share a lot with your roommate, but you don’t necessarily want to share everything. By having separate policies, you can avoid issues with your roommate like:

  • needing to remove them from a policy if they move out
  • having their claims on your insurance record
  • non-payment of their portion of the premium

About the Renters Policy

Even if you aren’t able to split your policy with your roommate, it still remains extremely affordable and covers against many types of losses. The Louisiana Farm Bureau Insurance Renters Policy insures for direct physical loss to your insured property caused by the following*:

  • Fire or lightning
  • Windstorm or hail
  • Explosion
  • Riot or civil commotion
  • Aircraft
  • Vehicles
  • Smoke
  • Vandalism for malicious mischief
  • Theft
  • Falling objects
  • Weight of ice, snow, or sleet
  • Accidental discharge or overflow of water or steam from within a plumbing, heating, air conditioning or automatic fire protective sprinkler system or from within a household appliance.
  • Sudden and accidental tearing apart, cracking, burning, or bulging of a steam or hot water heating system, an air conditioning or automatic fire protective sprinkler system, or an appliance for heating water.
  • Freezing of plumbing, heating system, air conditioning system, automatic fire protective sprinkler system or of a household appliance
  • Sudden and accidental damage from artificially generated electrical current.
  • Volcanic eruption other than loss caused by earthquake, land shock waves or tremors.

*Exclusions and conditions apply. Please contact a Farm Bureau Insurance agent for more information.

Talk to An Agent

When you speak with a Louisiana Farm Bureau Insurance agent, they can explain to you the best type of renters policy for your living situation. There’s an office near you.