Start Your Turkey Hunting Adventures This Spring
For Louisiana hunters eager to match wits with the state’s turkey population, the wait ends only a few weeks from now.
In the meantime, outdoor sportsmen and women have time to check off all their preparation plans before it’s time to head for the woods. We’ve put together a few reminders of current regulations and changes on others.
At Louisiana Farm Bureau Insurance, we support every effort to protect and conserve our land and wildlife so our families and yours can enjoy our state’s natural habitats, hunting grounds, and waterways for generations to come.
Download Louisiana’s Official Hunting Guide
Save time and find just about all the information you need to know to get ready for the 2021 turkey hunting season by downloading the Louisiana Hunting and WMA Regulations. You’ll find important new information, along with a few regulations changes, so read carefully.
How to Get Your Louisiana Hunting License
Louisiana hunting licenses expire each year on June 1, so if you already have a license it will be good through the 2021 turkey hunting season. If you need to to renew or replace a license, visit Licenses and Fees to make your purchase from several options, including residents, non-residents, seniors, military, disabled persons and more.
Mandatory Hunter Education Course
Find important information about Louisiana’s Mandatory Hunter Education Course for hunters born on or after Sept. 1, 1969.
Turkey Hunting Schedules for Private Lands
Refer to the map for parishes included in each of the areas below.
- Area A: April 2-May 2
- Area B: April 2-25
- Area C: April 2-18
Turkey Hunting Schedules for National Wildlife Refuges
- Bayou Cocodrie NWR: March 27-28 (Youth Lottery Only)
- Bogue Chitto NWR: March 27-28 (Youth & Physically Challenged Only) and April 2-25
- Lake Ophelia NWR: March 27 (Youth Lottery Only) and April 3-18
- Tensas NWR: March 27-28 (Youth Only) and April 2-11
- Upper Ouachita NWR: March 27 (Youth Lottery Only)
Turkey Hunting Schedules for Federal Lands
- Caney Ranger District (Webster and Claiborne Parishes)—April 2-18
- All remaining KNF lands—April 2-25 (except Vernon Unit lands within Fort Polk-Vernon WMA)
- Turkey hunting season for this location is April 2-25. A self-clearing permit is required to hunt turkey on NWMs.
- Turkey season here will be held April 2-11
Shooting Hours and Legal Equipment
- Shooting hours are one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset
- Shotguns, including muzzleloading shotguns, should use shot not larger than #2 lead, #2 non-toxic, or BB steel shot, and no larger than 10 gauge
- Traditional bow, compound bow, and crossbow, or any bow drawn, held or released by mechanical means
Daily and Season Limits
During the season, a turkey hunter is allowed to take one gobbler in one day. The season limit is two gobblers.
Restricted to youths 17 or younger, these events require participants to possess a hunter safety certification or proof of successful completion of a hunter safety course. Find more information in the Louisiana Hunting and WMA Regulations guide.
Protect Your Hunting Equipment with Farm Bureau Insurance
Protect your expensive hunting equipment like bows and arrows for turkey season by covering them in an insurance policy from Farm Bureau Insurance. We offer Personal Articles insurance that protects your valuable possessions. To learn more, contact your local agent by using our Agent Finder.